Wednesday, September 3, 2008

It's been awhile...

Well, it's been awhile since the last time I mused about something...well, on the blog, that is. I seem to muse about things all the time. I was mostly detained from any productive activity because of the Olympics. I am a confessed Olympic junkie. I find myself taping every second I can find. I LOVE watching the OLYMPICS! I wondered why that is...

I think one reason is because I love the spirit of competition in general. But, primarily, I think it is because it is one time that you can get a glimpse into God's amazing power of creating. So many people, so many cultures, so much history...all in one place. Whoever thought of having different countries host the Olympics was genius. Not many couch potatoes get to explore the uniqueness of other countries. I think the Olympics make the world a little smaller. The Olympics simplify the world for just a couple of weeks. The Olympics seem to unify the world for just a short, brief, wonderful moment. Everyone has a common goal: to compete. And every athlete respects that common goal in each other.

Why does competition unite the human race? It seems like an oxymoron to say that competition unites. But, it does. Why else would I cheer for a boxer in Thailand? Or cry to see China win medals in beach volleyball? Or rejoice at a Kenyan marathon runner's triumphant finish?

This was the best Olympics ever...but, whatever, I say that every 2 years...winter or summer. All I can say is that I'm counting the days until the next Olympics...to be united with the world again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bravo! You really said it when you clled the Olympics a uniter. I love your musings; whether about your husband, mini, or Olympics. It's good that you are an Olympics junkie because most surely Emily and Nate will catch the enthusiasm, too. And that's a good thing.
Love, Grandmother Borger